Content of the material
- How to get a Duplicate Title in Alabama
- What do I need to replace a lost title?
- Can I get a duplicate title online in Alabama?
- How long does it take to get a duplicate title?
- How much does it cost to file for a lost title in Alabama?
- What You’ll Do to Replace your Vehicle Title in Alabama
- How long does it take to get a replacement title in Alabama?
- Is the owner of the vehicle deceased?:
- Restrictions & Limitations on Replacing a Lost Title
- Making Corrections or Updating Your Information
How to get a Duplicate Title in Alabama
If your car’s title has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you’ll need to request a replacement.
Your options to request a duplicate title in Alabama include:
- In person at your local commissioner’s office.
- By mail.
To get a duplicate, you’ll need to:
- Complete the application.
- Pay the fee.
When you request a duplicate title, the original will typically be canceled by the Department.
What do I need to replace a lost title?
When you are replacing your lost title in Alabama, you should be prepared with the following information and documents:
- Your driver’s license and driver’s license number.
- Your car’s VIN.
- The car’s license plate number.
- The vehicle’s information including year, make, model, etc.
- Payment for the duplicate title fee.
You also may need to mark the reason for your duplicate title request, which will typically either be lost, stolen, or illegible/mutilated.
If the original title is damaged, you may be required to submit it to the DOR along with the duplicate title application.
Can I get a duplicate title online in Alabama?
Yes, you can request a replacement title online. To get started, visit:
How long does it take to get a duplicate title?
After you submit your application for a lost title, you should expect to receive your duplicate within a few weeks.
In some circumstances, you may be able to request a rush title for an additional fee.
If you do not receive your new title, contact the DOR.
How much does it cost to file for a lost title in Alabama?
The fee for a duplicate title in Alabama is $15.
This fee may be higher if you complete the transaction at your local county office.
What You’ll Do to Replace your Vehicle Title in Alabama
- Step 1: Locate your local AL Tag and Title Office.
- Step 2: You need to file the Application for Replacement at the Alabama Department of Revenue.
- Step 3: Present all the documents you need.
- Step 4: Pay $15 for the service.
How long does it take to get a replacement title in Alabama?After completing the application, you can expect to receive your duplicate title in the mail within 7 to 14 business days. MORE: Lemon laws in Alabama
Is the owner of the vehicle deceased?:
Depending on the particulars of your case additional paperwork may be required, however these are the forms always required by the State of Alabama to transfer ownership of a vehicle whose owner is deceased.
- In the case of a one owner death: You will need a copy of the death certificate, a notarized next of kin affidavit (MVT 5-6), and a properly signed title by the next of kin.
- In the case of a probated estate: You will need a copy of the death certificate, notarized probate papers from the court/notarized will, and a properly signed title by the executor of the estate.
Restrictions & Limitations on Replacing a Lost Title
In order to qualify for a replacement title, your motor vehicle must be currently titled in the state of Alabama. The term motor vehicle covers automobiles, motorcycles, mobile trailers, trucks, truck tractors, semitrailers, trailers, and other transportation devices that are self-propelled or drawn by a motorized conveyance without the use of stationary rails or tracks.
Making Corrections or Updating Your Information
It’s worth your while to consider updating personal information when filing for a replacement or duplicate title. Bring any document stating the change to your personal information and include this information when replacing your Alabama title.
You can also use this time to complete items like transferring a title, too! We recommend trying to fit as much as you can in during your trip to make your time at the DMV easy and frustration-free.