Call our Wisconsin Title Department

See why the top operators in the country are using Snickfish’s Online Title Management application. Start streamlining your title process today!

What You’ll Do to Replace your Vehicle Title in Wisconsin

  • Step 1: Visit replacement title application
    • Submit the required information
    • Submit payment
    • Receive a receipt for your replacement title
  • Step 2: Once the online transaction is completed, you cannot cancel it or receive a refund. Verify that you have entered the information correctly before completing payment information.
  • Step 3: You should receive a replacement title in the mail within 7-10 business days after completing the online application.


How do Wisconsin Residents Apply for a Bonded Title?

To apply for a bonded title, Wisconsin residents must complete the following steps:

Step 1 – Consult the DOT

Bonded title applicants in Wisconsin should consult the Department of Transportation prior to purchasing a surety bond. Wisconsin does not require all title applicants to obtain a bonded title, and usually only does so as an absolute last resort. Title applicants should ensure that they actually need a bond before purchasing one.

Step 2 – Complete the Application

After consulting the DOT, bonded title applicants should complete the application and mail it to the following address:

Vehicle Research Unit Wisconsin Department of Transportation P.O. Box 8070 Madison, WI 53708-8070

Bonded title applicants must complete the application in its entirety, and submit the following items:

    • Title and License Plate application
    • Bill of sale or previously issued title/registration documents (if available)
    • Pictures of the vehicle showing all four sides and the VIN
      • If no VIN the applicant must have their vehicle inspected by law enforcement
    • Written statement detailing how the applicant came into possession of the vehicle

Step 3 – Purchase a Surety Bond

The DOT will review the bonded title application and inform the applicant of the vehicle’s value. Bonded title applicants must purchase and maintain a surety bond in an amount equal to one and a half times the vehicle’s value.

How to apply for a replacement title in Wisconsin

You can submit an application for a replacement title in Wisconsin online, by mail, or in person.To apply online, you can fill out the replacement title application on the Wisconsin DOT website. You will need to include the following information with your online application:
  • The last four digits of your Social Security Number

  • Date of birth

  • A valid email address

  • Vehicle identification number (VIN)

  • Wisconsin driver’s license or state ID card

  • A valid credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover)

  • You can also make an ACH payment through your checking or savings account

  • $20 application fee + $5 processing fee

When applying online, you’ll receive your replacement title within 10 business days.To apply by mail, you’ll need to send a completed Replacement Title Application Form (Form MV 2119) and a check or money order with the $20 fee to:Department of TransportationP.O. Box 7949Madison, WI 53707To apply in person, do the following:
  • Go to a DMV service center that processes titles

  • Fill out and complete the Replacement Title Application Form (Form MV 2119)

  • Sign the form

  • Bring your driver’s license or state ID

    • If you do not have your driver’s license with you, the DMV will mail the duplicate title to the address they have on file for the vehicle

  • Pay the $20 fee along with a $5 processing fee

    • Payment accepted: cash, check, Visa, American Express, Discover, most debit cards

  • You’ll receive your replacement title before leaving the DMV

What is the Purpose of the Wisconsin Lost Title Bond?

Wisconsin requires residents to purchase a surety bond as part of the application process to obtain a bonded title. The bond ensures that the rightful vehicle owner will not suffer a financial loss if the title applicant is seeking to obtain the title fraudulently. If the title applicant is engaging in fraud, then the rightful vehicle owner can file a claim against the bond and receive compensation up to the full amount of the bond. In short, the bond acts as a safeguard against people attempting to obtain ownership of a vehicle through unethical means.

Wisconsin Lost Title Bond Form

Wisconsin Lost Title Bond Form

When do you need a replacement title in Wisconsin?

Your vehicle’s certificate of title certifies your legal ownership of it. Your vehicle’s title has basic information on it, including the owner’s information and signature, address, and VIN, along with the make, model, and year of the vehicle.If you are transferring ownership of the vehicle or moving to a different jurisdiction, you will need to transfer the title to the new jurisdiction or to the new owner of the vehicle.But you can’t transfer the title if it is considered:
  • Mutilated

  • Lost

  • Damaged

  • Illegible

  • Stolen

In these cases, you will need to order a replacement title.

When You Might Need a Wisconsin Bonded Title

You might need a bonded title in any of the following situations, though this is not a complete list. You also should always check with your local DMV on if you can get a bonded title before starting the process.

  • You bought a vehicle and didn’t receive a title
  • You bought a vehicle and only received a bill of sale
  • You bought a vehicle and received an improperly assigned title
  • You bought a vehicle, received the original title, but lost it before transfering it into your name*

*If you had the original title registered in your name at one point in time, you do not need a Bonded Title. You can just get a duplicate/replacement title.

You can apply for a duplicate WI title certificate online, by mail, or in person at your local WI Department of Motor Vehicles office. There is a $20 replacement title fee. 

Not sure if you need a WI Bonded Title? Check out this 

Wisconsin DOT Lost Title Application

If you are requesting a duplicate title by mail or in person at your local office, use the following form: Replacement Title Application MV2119 

If submitting the request by mail, send the application, fees, and documents to:

WI Dept. of Transportation

PO Box 7949

Madison WI 53707-7949

For the latest official information, resources, and online service options, please visit the official website of the Wisconsin DOT:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *